But drug-induced sleep has nothing to do with a healthy and natural sleep. Many sleeping pills disrupt the natural duration of sleep phases, which can lead to a decrease in performance and mental activity, to loss of strength. Excessive reliance on sleeping pills can lead to drug addiction. Take these drugs only as prescribed by your doctor.
Almost half of our lives we spend in sleep. Sleep helps us forget about the problems and worries, relieve fatigue, gain strength, only in a dream man really relaxes. During sleep, the functions of all organs and body systems are normalized. If a person can not sleep for a long time it can lead to various diseases. Chronic sleep deprivation often provokes the development of diseases of the nervous system, diabetes, hypertension and obesity.
Causes of insomnia
Insomnia (sleep disorder) is a very common problem in medical practice. Almost any disease can be accompanied by insomnia. To get rid of insomnia in this case, you must first treat the disease that provoked it. If, however, everything is fine with health, the cause of lack of sleep is likely to be stress, irregular daily routine, poor diet, overworked body. The cause of insomnia may be a hormonal malfunction. In women, this occurs during pregnancy, during the postpartum period and during menopause. Sleep disturbances may be provoked by various changes in nature (changes in light, heat, changes in atmospheric pressure and humidity).
What can provoke insomnia?
- Dinner before bedtime – the body will not be able to get proper rest because of digestion;
- Alcohol – it is not a good sleeping pill, because under its influence the structure of sleep is disturbed;
- Cigarettes – nicotine is a stimulant;
- Coffee or strong tea before going to bed.
Rules for Sound and Healthy Sleep
- Eat a light dinner two to three hours before going to bed.
- Go to bed not later than 10:00 p.m., preferably at the same time;
- Choose an orthopedic mattress for your bed, and if possible, choose a pillow of small size;
- Sleep in underwear made of natural fabrics;
- The air in the bedroom should be fresh and cool. The ideal temperature in the bedroom is 18 to 20 degrees;
- Avoid light and noise;
- Before going to bed try to disconnect from the day’s problems and worries (read, listen to light music, do a relaxing massage).
Folk remedies for insomnia
Folk remedies can help against insomnia:
- Warm bath with essential oils of mint, chamomile, lavender or sea salt with pine extract will help to relax;
- Milk and honey before going to bed relaxes, soothes, and has a positive effect on a good night’s sleep;
- If you are very agitated, you can take a tincture of the herbs motherwort, valerian or peony;
- Drink a soothing tea with chamomile, lemon balm, or mint before going to bed. Phyto teas for normalizing sleep are available at the drugstore;
- Enrich your diet with foods containing omega-3 fatty acids (fish, nuts), they stimulate the production of the sleep hormone melatonin.
If you have trouble sleeping for more than 2 weeks, it is worth seeing a doctor. Contact us and a naturopathic doctor will find a personalized treatment for you.